How you choose to build and renovate can have a significant impact on the environment. With climate change and an increasing emphasis to reduce carbon emissions, there has been a larger emphasis on green construction in recent years. Companies want to reduce their carbon footprint as the demand for energy continues to rise. Much of this increase in demand is from industrial and corporate building projects and daily operations.
One of the ways to reduce energy consumption is to change how organizations approach building and renovation projects. Here, we will take a look at what green construction is and how it works.
What Is Green Construction?
Green construction is known by a number of different names. They include:
- sustainable building
- high performance building
- green building
These terms are all used interchangeable to define the same approach. Green construction adds another layer to the building development and construction process. It is focused on creating spaces that consider the environmental impact of the construction and renovation process as well as how the building operates.
The Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building Rating System is the main certification used to designate green buildings. Companies follow these and other green guidelines to create a more sustainable building environment.
What Are The Advantages Of Green Construction?
There is no doubt there is a link between the construction process, building project and the environment. Environmental resources such as land, water, energy, and natural materials are all used as part of the construction process.
Green construction is focused on more than just taking. It looks to strike a balance between using resources and minimizing the impact on the environment. The advantages of this approach include:
- A more productive and healthy work environment for employees
- Saving money on energy bills and operating costs
- Lower energy and natural resource consumption
- Less pollution and waste
What Are The Components Of Green Construction?
Any type of building can be green construction – commercial office spaces, schools, condos, residential homes, and all other building types. Even existing structures can be retrofitted as part of a green renovation project.
Here are the main components that make a building “green”
- Sustainable materials: You opt to use more environmentally friendly and sustainable materials when possible, during the build. You choose materials that are more durable and will last longer. They are ethically sourced, non-toxic, require less energy and water to extract and manufacture. These materials can possibly be reused in the future.
- Efficiency: The building is designed to maximize the efficient use of energy, water, and other resources. Systems are put in place to minimize consumption and save on energy costs.
- Renewable energy: Construction elements such as solar power are used to create renewal energy sources onsite.
- Air quality: The building is designed to promote good indoor air quality. They use high efficiency HVAC systems and other methods to improve air quality.
- Environmental consideration: All aspects of the construction process are considered. This includes the design, materials, construction process and operations.
- Quality of life: Consideration is given to the quality of the building inhabitant post construction. This includes consideration for natural lighting and a good indoor environment. Designs make it possible to adapt to future changes in the environment and sustainability concerns.
- Waste reduction: Waste reduction measures are considered during construction and including as part of the building operations. This could include recycling and upcycling programs.
- Maintenance optimization: The building is designed to require less energy to maintain the building over time.
The demand for green construction is on the rise. It offers a range of benefits from lower energy costs to more comfortable living and work environments, a reduction in carbon footprint and a better future for Canadians. If you are planning a building, renovation or retrofitting project, its worth considering green construction.
Get A Free Commercial Building Consultation
Are you planning a commercial build or renovation project? Want to learn more about your green construction operations. We want to hear from you. At Fuhrmann, we provide all in one commercial building solutions. Learn more about our Commercial Building Renovations services by requesting a free consultation with our design experts.
Read More From Our Blog