Minimalism is a concept that is increasing in popularity. People are looking for ways to live a more simplified life with minimal distractions, temptations, and belongings. Minimalism has become the new aesthetic in interior design. Home and business owners are increasingly taking a more simplified approach to how they design their properties. Here we will look at the growing trend of minimalism as a new aesthetic.
What Is Minimalism?
Minimalism is a concept that is focused on the idea that less is more. It emphasizes simplicity. It is about only having the things you need or items that serve a specific purpose. It is not about abundance. People and organizations who follow a minimalist lifestyle are focused on a simpler existence.
What Is a Minimalist Aesthetic?
The idea behind a minimalist aesthetic takes the concept of minimalism and applies it to the design space. It is also based on the idea that less is more when building, designing, and outfitting a home, business, or property.
The concept originated as an art movement and since there is a close connection between art and design, it has expanded into interior design. Home and business designs that have a minimalistic aesthetic have a modern feel. They have a lot of open space and there is no clutter.
What Are The Characteristics Of The Minimalist Aesthetic?
There are a series of design characteristics that make up a minimalist aesthetic. It includes the following elements:
- Visually appealing designs
- A clean look
- A well-organized space
- Minimal use of furniture
- Neutral colours with subtle accents
- Lots of natural light and maximum brightness
- There is a naturalness about the space
The Benefits of The Minimalist Aesthetic
There are a lot of advantages to implementing a minimalist design in your home or workplace.
- Less stress: There is less stress associated with space. It has a more calm and freeing atmosphere. There is also less stress associated with general upkeep.
- More space: Minimalist spaces have a lot more open space. It feels more open and freer. This is particularly important today where its important for people to keep their distance to prevent the potential spread of COVID-19
- Less to clean: Minimalist spaces have fewer objects and furniture to keep clean. It is much easier to keep things tidy and clean.
- Create focus: People tend to have the ability to focus better because there are minimal distractions. You can focus better on the task at hand.
- Saves money: Less is more. This can certainly help you reduce the number of things you have in your home and business.
How To Implement The Minimalist Aesthetic
Implementing a minimalist aesthetic to an existing space is just like applying any other design scheme. The first thing you will need to do is establish a plan for how you want to implement this approach.
- Why do you want to opt for a minimalist design?
- Do you want to apply it to your entire space?
- Will renovations or remodeling be required?
- Are there certain rooms or areas you want to try?
- How will this change your work or living situation?
Once you have a good idea of what you want to do, here are the steps you need to take to make it happen:
- Research ideas: Look around online for some inspiration. There are lots of social media accounts and websites that can help you identify the exact look you want to achieve.
- Eliminate clutter: The first step to a minimalist design is to get rid of anything that is causing clutter. Remove anything you do not need or use from the space.
- Choose your colour: Choose from a neutral colour palette. Do you prefer a bright white, light grey, or beige? Use the colour as a basis for choosing décor and furniture items.
- Add lots of light: Make use of your current windows and sources of natural light to brighten up your space. You may need to add a window or increase it size. A skylight is also a possibility.
- Implement your plan: Work with a professional to help you turn your idea into a reality.
Get A Free Design Consultation
Are you planning a commercial build or renovation project? Want to learn more about your minimalist design options. We want to hear from you. At Fuhrmann, we provide all in one building solutions. Learn more about our Commercial Building Renovations services by requesting a free consultation with our design experts.
Read More From Our Blog